Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Cartoon Dudes Part 1. Rabbit & Squirrel





I couldn't help but get caught up in some of the Michael Jackson death media choke hold of 2009. One talking head made the comment that all the fanatics in public mourning were a symptom of what is wrong with the world today. He went on to say that anyone that fascinated with any artist has their priorities in the wrong place. This point of view seems a bit extreme to me, but I was brain washed at an early age into beliveing that art is important to human culture. I hope to push the earth farther down the tube with these drawings. I hope you enjoy them and then you rethink your stupid little life .




Here is the first of two of the cartoon animals I have been drawing for the past few years. The first one is Doyle the rabbit. I began drawing this guy over and over again around 2003. The idea was to create a kid's comic strip, learn to use a brush pen and draw in a sketch book during my lunch breaks at work.



Doyle seems like the kind of name a little kid would call a stuffed animal, doesn't it? I don't think I really ever had a reason for drawing a rabbit. It took me about an entire sketch book of copying him to get the dude to look correct. At first he had whiskers but I got sick of drawing those after a few months.


It's been brought to my attention that I have a problem with content, and I guess the criticism is fair in the case of Doyle and his friends. There isn't really much to them except cute drawings at this point. As I got better at drawing Doyle I became less and less in love with the idea of comic strips. Comic strips are a dead sport. For proof all you need to do is check out the Sunday funnies. It's a creepy bummer if you ask me.





I could also just be spinning my wheels though...



The next one is Patton the squirrel. I see squirrels everywhere, so drawing one was a no- brainer. I also figured that it would be good idea to draw animals I see around my neighborhood. Patton is named after the comedian Patton Oswalt and the singer Mike Patton. Like Doyle the rabbit, I've drawn Patton a few thousand times over the years. It's too bad my computer couldn't handle many more images than these or the blog would have more content. It's also real pity that I never found a better use of my lunch and break time.



Squirrels are funny to me but my priorities are in the wrong place.




Next time I will introduce the Chipmunk that that ruined Western Civilization and the Meerkat who stole your youth and beauty.




2 comments:

  1. i linked your blog.just that you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to use some of your artwork on my facebook group page would that be ok?

    ReplyDelete